Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hospital Tour

Last night Jeff and I spent two hours at the hospital being informed of what to expect when the big day arrives. It was very helpful even though it was a lot to take in all at once. However, the best part was at the very end when we spent about 15 minutes touring the facility and seeing the rooms. I think I was most surprised about the security the hospital here in Bellingham has for babies and moms. They are very thorough and even put a little alarm on the baby's umbilical cord that will go off if she gets too close to a door or stairwell. Mom, dad, and baby also all have matching bracelets so there are no mix ups but luckily this hospital has never had that happened.

We also found out that all of the labor and delivery rooms have bath tubs and even though you can't actually deliver in the tub you can still use it to relax. Another reassuring thing I found out is that I will have one nurse with me during the entire labor and delivery and I will be her only patient. After Baby Katie is born we will all move into a post-partum room where there is one nurse for every 6-8 patients but luckily I will have my wonderful husband there with me the entire time and I know he is going to be a great support person.

I am still going to try and go drug free but I am staying open minded to the idea of an epidural. We will just have to wait and see how I handle the pain. One week from Saturday we have our weekend long child birth class which I am really looking forward to. I feel more comfortable when I know what to expect and hopefully this class will give both Jeff and I some help with that as well as some ways to get through the pain. I don't think Jeff is looking too forward to spending his whole weekend in class but I think he will manage :)

1 comment:

eLiZaBeTh said...

Hello Love,
Thank you for the update. The childbirth class will definitely help. I took my class with my friend Julie...We definitely raised some eyebrows when we walked in the room!! LOL Try to remember that when you finally go into labor, that you will be in pain, but that this pain has a purpose. It will not last forever and it will end when that baby comes into the world! You can do it!

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/