Sunday, June 5, 2011

Race for the Cure

I walked with my mom and dad in my first Race for the Cure in 1993.  I was 14 years old.  Today, 18 years later, I am walking with my husband and my two beautiful girls and  and my mom is watching down on us from heaven.



The first race Jeff and I did together in 2009, Katie was just a little lime in mommy's tummy

What I wore on my shirt the first year I walked with Jeff. 
So today is always a hard day for me because there are so many survivors at this even and I always think "why couldn't my mom have been one of those".   But I know I can't think like that.   And this year I am going to be sharing this experience with two little ones which puts a whole new perspective on the walk.  This year I am not only walking in memory of my mom, but also in celebration of life and a new generation.  I know in my heart a cure will be found and hopefully that means my girls will never have to worry about losing their mommy to breast cancer like I lost mine. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful young woman. I would be proud to be your mom and know that your mom is looking down with pride and love today. Wishing your mom had been a survivor is perfectly normal. You are doing the right thing and turning that wish into action. Enjoy the day making new memories with your girls. I will be thinking of you and praying for you. ((hugs))

Janelle said...

I wish your mom could be here too. You carry on her legacy with such grace. I know she would be so proud of you.

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/