Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Weekend

Easter weekend for us this year included a wonderful date night, Katie being sick, and a delicious family dinner of barbecued ham prepared by Smoky G (aka. Jeff's smoker). It all started Thursday with Katie getting the dreaded runny nose which pretty means either teeth or a cold are coming on. This time was different though because her eye was very watery and by Friday morning it was worse and I wasn't sure if I should take her to Sharry's. Because she was happy and in good spirits I decided to make the drive and if Sharry didn't think she should stay then we would just come home. Well, Lil Miss ended up staying all day even though poor Sharry probably went through a whole box of Kleenex. She even got to participate in her first Easter Egg hunt and loved it! Once again I was reminded how lucky we are to have such a wonderful day care provider. We just love her!

Saturday morning we woke up to a very sick baby girl. Her eye was even worse and we debated about whether we should take her to the walk in clinic. I had to go do my glucose screening test so I was gone most of the morning but when I came home she was sleeping and we decided to wait and see how she was after she woke up. Of course she was once again happy and acting like her normal self so we figured it was just part of her cold and we would wait.

Later that night my friend Linda came over to play with Katie while Jeff and I went on what was probably our last date night before Carly is here. I normally enjoy getting dressed up but being 28 weeks preggo and feeling huge made it a little hard to feel sexy for my handsome husband. Here we are right before we left to go out to dinner and then to see the musical, Cabaret.

And here is Lil Miss looking she got beat up on the playground....poor baby girl!

Of course I worried about her while we were out that night especially since Linda (who is a nurse) told me we probably should have taken her in because of how red and swollen her eye was. So we left for our big night out with me feeling like a bad mom AND a huge "about ready to pop" preggo wife. Of course Jeff snapped me out of my funk shortly after and we ended up having a really nice night out even with the dinner disaster.

Once Jeff got into barbecuing we said we would never go out for a steak dinner because we can do better at home. Well for some reason we decided to try again so we went to this place called The Black Forest which is supposed to have great steaks. All is well until Jeff gets his steak and cuts into it only to find it is cooked medium to medium well when he ordered medium rare. Now if this had been a $12 steak he probably wouldn't have made a big deal out of it and would have just ate it. But it wasn't and he expected it to be cooked the way he ordered it. So, I finally convinced him to send it back which the waitress happily did because she agreed with us. A few minutes later she came back with the same steak and said "the kitchen won't cook it again because it looks like medium rare back in the kitchen light." Needless to say we weren't happy and her offer of a free dessert didn't fix the fact that we paid almost $30 for a steak dinner that was tough and over cooked. Finally the manager took the steak back, removed the dinner from our bill, and Jeff and I just ended up sharing my steak. The lesson learned here is that once again we have decided to NEVER go out for a steak dinner again. We can do just as well, if not better here at home on Smoky G.

After our dinner disaster we had some time to kill before the show started so we went to Nimbus which is a great bar/restaurant at the top of Bellingham's tallest building. Jeff had a beer and I had the most amazing dessert ever which helped make up for the dinner fiasco. Then it was off to the show! It was a good performance except we both had a hard time staying awake due to the fact that we are so used to going to bed around 9:30 every night and because it was a musical that didn't have much of a plot. Luckily we perked up after intermission either because the story got more interesting or we just got our second wind, who knows. After the show we called it a night and headed home because it was 11:00, way past our bedtime!

Sunday morning we woke up to a happy little girl whose eye was still red and swollen but looking better. The Easter Bunny did make his first appearance at the Garner household and Katie loved gathering eggs. Here is a little video of her egg hunting as well as some pictures.

Happy Easter everyone!


eLiZaBeTh said...

I just looked at the Carly Countdown...only 80 days to go?? That is crazy! Loved your long post, it is always nice to hear what is going on in the Garner House. Hope that you had a nice Easter! Love you!

Andrea and Jeff said...

It is crazy and I am feeling SOOOOO unprepared this time around. There just isn't enough time to get stuff done. Glad you liked the update...didn't realize how long it was until I finished typing. I got your message and will call you soon. Love you too!

Janelle said...

Wow! What a crazy weekend! Katie is getting so big. You do look great even though you don't feel like it.

design by