Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ferber Method

Thursday night we started the Ferber method with Katie Louise and it is going ok...not great but not terrible either. The main idea behind the theory is that babies need to learn to go to sleep on their own and sometimes that has to be taught if their parents make accidental mistakes like we have. First, I thought Katie would only sleep swaddled but after breaking her of that habbit during naps I learned that she actually sleeps better because she isn't trying to fight the swaddle. Second, I thought she still needed to eat once or twice a night but after reading Ferber's book I decided that she really isn't hungry...she has just been trained to go back to sleep nursing. And third, I thought she would only take 30 minute naps but in actuality she was sleeping too much at night and I wasn't giving her a chance to fall back asleep when she woke up from her short naps. So, after discovering all of that we are making some changes and I am really happy with her progress so far.

She won't be eating anymore at night and instead we will be giving her a pacifier which she now really likes. I am getting her up at a regular time every morning and we moved her bedtime back a little. Lastly, she is eating every 4 hours (instead of 3) and I have started her on a 3 nap per day schedule. As a first time mommy I didn't know what I was doing and was just doing what I thought was best but now I have a better understanding of babies sleep patterns which will hopefully equal better sleep for Lil Miss AND her mommy.

Here are a couple pictures we took this weekend. I think she is looking more and more like her daddy and even Jeff admits that now.


This weekend we have been busy cleaning and getting our house ready for my grandparents who are coming to visit. At first I didn't think they would be able to make the trip up here to meet their first great grandchild, but now they can and we are very excited. They will be here for almost a week and Jeff will even be on vacation for part of their visit. We plan on doing some barbecuing, visiting, relaxing, and celebrating my 30th birthday. It should be a great week!

No comments:

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/